[f-nsp] CER FIB capacity

Greg Hankins ghankins at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 3 12:50:23 EDT 2012

Hi Rob, the CER routers use SRAM for the IPv4/v6 FIB instead of CAM, so
for the CES/CER/CER-RT platforms the scalability is dynamic for all IP
routes in the FIB (vs the MLX CAM architecture where we have to choose
fixed partition sizes which can support a maximum number).

Scalability depends on how the memory is used by IPv4 and IPv6 routes.
There is no easy formula to calculate the utilization, so we have tested
certain combinations which are officially supported maximums.  While a
different number of routes might work, it will not be a supported or
tested combination.

For CER:
256K IPv4 routes + 128K IPv6
448K IPv4 + 64K IPv6
512K IPv4 + 0 IPv6

For CER-RT:
1.5M IPv4 + 512K IPv6

"Internet route mix" is used to indicate that we are using a mix of prefix
lengths.  No compression is being used.

Greg
(works for Brocade)

--