[f-nsp] Tagged Ports

Joseph Jackson jjackson at aninetworks.net
Tue Oct 9 12:29:43 EDT 2012

I thought this was answered already.

From: foundry-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:foundry-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Eric Chen
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:28 AM
To: foundry-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [f-nsp] Tagged Ports

All we have two scenarios and would appreciate some thought

1st Scenario:

Uplink 1 <--> Switch #1 <- 4 Ports Trunked TAGGED --> Switch #2 <-> Uplink 2

On both switches there are there are 2 vlans, vlan 2 and vlan 3. VLAN 2 carries ports that should have access to the uplink, VLAN 3 is a local private network.

*** How do we get VLAN 2 on switch 1 to be able to talk to VLAN 2 on switch 2 and same for VLAN 3? I assume we tag the 4 trunked ports into each VLAN? Can someone provide the commands / a simple how-to?
*** How do we get VLAN 2 on switch 1 to be able to talk to BOTH VLAN 2 and VLAN 3 on switch 2 and vice versa? - directions welcome ( I guess the simple alternative is not to have any vlans and put everyone together but that's not the ideal solution for us)

2nd Scenario:

Uplink 1 + Uplink 2 --> Switch #1 <- 4 Ports Trunked TAGGED --> Switch #2

On switch #1 there are 2 VLANs, 2 and 3. On switch #2, there's only VLAN 3.

*** How do we get VLAN 3 on switch 2 to talk to VLAN 3 - would a simple cross connect do the job? (Assume so). Would we still need to set default route to the next hop gateway on switch #1 via uplinks?

Thank you,
Eric