[f-nsp] Problem with IPv6 BGP community propagation

Steven Raymond sraymond at acedatacenter.com
Wed Sep 5 11:28:58 EDT 2012

On Sep 5, 2012, at 3:33 AM, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> I have been struggling with a nice IPv6 BGP problem.
>
> I am using my route reflectors (CER-RT, v5.3.0b) to generate the BGP prefixes we will be announcing to our upstreams via our edge routers (MLXe-4, v5.3.0b).
>
> The configuration works just fine for IPv4, but for some reason, my BGP communities are not propagated when using the same model under IPv6 AFI.

I had the same problem.

> address-family ipv6 unicast
>
> redistribute static route-map FROM-STATIC-V6-TO-BGP
>
> neighbor RR-PEER-V6 send-community
>
> neighbor 2a00:bf40::XYZ activate
>
> neighbor 2a00:bf40::XYZ activate
>
> exit-address-family

Try adding "neighbor RR-PEER-V6 activate".  Alternatively, I think if you add "send-community [both]" to each individual peer, it fixes it too.  My recollection is a little fuzzy, but one of these two should work.  Let me know if not.

It struck me as strange that the peer was already "up", so it would have never occurred to me that the peer-group itself needed an activate.