[f-nsp] NetIron CER 2000 as a metro switch

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Wed Aug 28 21:40:54 EDT 2013

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.  Modulo some differences
in how the software feature licenses work (and don't get me started on how
much I absolutely *abhor* software feature licenses), the CES and CER end
up with exactly the same feature set...so the distinction between "switch"
and "router" is pretty meaningless.  I mean...they do run the exact same
software image and load the same FPGA firmware onto their data plane (yes,
FPGA, not ASIC)

They *do* have different RIB and FIB capacities...which I guess could be
the distinction between "switch" and "router"...personally I find it more
confusing than just saying that they both can be both "switch" and
"router" (and be both at the same time) and that the distinction between
them is merely one of scalability in RIB/FIB.

On Wed, August 28, 2013 19:01, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr wrote:
> Well,
>

> First of all, one is a switch who can do a little routing with small RIB
> capacity while the other is a router who can do a little switching whit
> high RIB capacity.
>
> Again, if you don't state your needs/requirements/sizing, it's going to
> be difficult to help.
>
> Y.
>

> Le 29 août 2013 à 00:54, "Eric Louie" <elouie at yahoo.com> a écrit :
>

>> What’s the difference between the CER and the CES?  From the local
>> Systems Engineer, he says “L3 VPNs on the CER, L2 VPNs on the CES”.
>> Any other notable differences?
>>

>> much appreciated, Eric Louie

Jeff