[f-nsp] ICX 6450 Input errors incrementing wildly until reboot

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Tue Dec 31 17:38:11 EST 2013

Drew,

Sorry you are seeing this. (Unofficially…of course) so far I haven’t heard about any widespread hardware issues on this switch.

Apologies if you’ve already answered some of this before:
Can you provide some info on the optic; Is it Brocade branded?
Is it SM or MM?
What is the uplink device?
How long is the fiber link? Does it run through several patch panels?
Have you tried swapping fiber runs?

We don’t software block 3rd party optics, but sometimes we can’t pull the same error details from them as our own, so it helps to know. I haven’t double-checked this against the specifics of the ASIC we use in this box yet, but the CRC errors may be triggering some internal error handing on the switch to keep that port from causing issues for other switch ports (part of the heal monitoring system). Rebooting the switch would clear this stats data, so that could be why things seemed to work better after a reboot.

- Wilbur

Wilbur Smith
SE Ninja, Brocade
wilbur.k.smith at gmail.com
wsmith at brocade.com

Disclosure: While I am a Brocade employee, my participation in this community is a personal choice and not directed by my employer. And information or recommendation I provide are my own and not an official recommendation from Brocade. Sorry folks, just need to make sure you know I’m ‘doin this “off the clock”!