[f-nsp] Layer 2 / Layer 3 QoS / bandwidth reservation

Alex HM alex.hm.list at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 12:04:54 EDT 2013

Dear All,

I have a challenging problem to solve and need a little hint.

I have two routers which are connected to each other by 1 Gbps link. Each
routers runs OSPF in area 0. They see each other and the routing works
well. On top of that, I have enabled an MPLS and configured an LSP between
these two routers. On top of that LSP, I have configured 5 VLLs, each with
a port rate-limited at 50 Mbps, while the remaining 750 Mbps are used for
Layer 3 routing.

Now, I want to guarantee that the VLLs always have their bandwidth
available on the link, regardless of the capacity used for Layer 3
services, such as Internet Access. I understand I need to apply CoS on my
LSP, but that will not guarantee the availability of the bandwidth.

Also, to my understanding, DSCP happening on Layer 3 will take precedence
over CoS happening on Layer 2. How can I put together a configuration which
 can dynamically reserve the bandwidth for my VLLs without rate-limiting
the remaining capacity to 750 Mbps rather than 1000 Mbps, so that I can use
my bandwidth when the VLLs do not use their fully committed capacity, but
make sure the bandwidth gets allocated and reserved to my VLLs when they do
need it?

Any hint is welcome.

- Alex