[f-nsp] BigIron RX FIB Capacity

Darren O'Connor darrenoc at outlook.com
Thu Mar 6 03:20:35 EST 2014

We have a fault on one of our XMRs which is showing slighly odd FIB behaviour. For some reason the mgmt card is not properly installing all active routes on a particular XMR16. It has the full BGP table and should be sending traffic via LSPs directly to the edge routers.

I have another router connected directly to this one advertising a default into the IGP.

When traffic hits the XMR and the line card doesn't know what to do with it, it's following the default route. The next-hop router then has LSPs to all edge routers and it's working perfectly fine. Some of those LSPs actually go back through the affected router but at that point it's only looking at the transport label.

So I'm guessing depending on your topology you might still be able to forward traffic even when your fib is full, as long as that default route is there.

Thanks
Darren
http://www.mellowd.co.uk/ccie