[f-nsp] MLXe-8 cooling

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Mon Mar 17 17:21:24 EDT 2014

Good Question!

Option #1 is to install a mesh side panel if the rack in standalone or on
the end of a row.

Option#2 is to try and dam off some of the front-to-back air and force it
up the internal side panel of the rack. You can rig a plastic panel to
create a channel for this. Cut a plastic sheet to fit the contour of the
side panels of the rack and mount this 1U below the router. This will
create an air channel and allow the router’s fans to pull air from the
front 1U opening and up the side of the rack. This is a “cheap” fix of
you’re a university or school with a wood shop.

For folks who want something more professional, you can buy a rack “side
air distribution fan”. Here’s a link to one from APC, but other folks also
make them:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ACF202BLK

Wilbur

Wilbur Smith
SE Ninja, Brocade
wilbur.k.smith at gmail.com
wsmith at brocade.com

Disclosure: While I am a Brocade employee, my participation
in this community is a personal choice and not directed by my employer. And
information or recommendation I provide are my own and not an official
recommendation
from Brocade. Sorry folks, just need to make sure you know I’m ‘doin this
“off
the clock”!