[f-nsp] Netiron 5.6 feedbacks

Wouter de Jong wouter at widexs.nl
Sun May 25 06:57:06 EDT 2014

Hi,

(Apologies for not quoting, etc as I don't have the original email in my
mailbox)

Too bad that 5.6 seems 'buggy' ... some of it's new features look nice, and
I was planning to put it on a new box...
now I'm not so sure about that any longer...

Also interesting that you seem to run 5.5d without problems, as we came
across a bug in 5.5 with regards
to the IPv6 route cache - DEFECT000500944

Due to it's characteristics, my guess would be that we really can't be the
only one that faced that problem ? :)

The issue is that after a link between 2 MLXe's fails and the IGP selects a
different path ... it fails to update the IPv6 cache.
However, it updates the RIB, etc correctly .... so IPv6 traffic transiting
through the router appears to keep working without issue and
everything _seems_ correctly (even from looking at CAM), only traffic
originated from the router itself (eg. loopback) is still pointing
to the wrong interface, which for example affected IPv6 iBGP sessions in our
case.

The provided method to resolve it is to manually clear the IPv6 cache by
running "clear ipv6 cache"
(Note that 'cache' is hidden in the outout from "clear ipv6 ?" ...
DEFECT000503937)

According to TAC, this issue occurs in both 5.5.x and 5.6.x ... and both
with IS-IS and OSPF.
In our case, this was on MLXe-4's with 4x10G X-blades, running IS-IS, with
v5.5d and v5.5e
Fix should come in 5.6d .. not sure in what version 5.5 will be fixed.

Just wondering if anyone else faced this as well ?

Best regards,

Wouter