[f-nsp] problems binding new key and cert on ADX

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 9 15:14:01 EST 2015

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015, Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) wrote:

> Hi Jethro,
>
> first of all: 12.5.01g is really old and is vulnerable to POODLE and a
> few others. You really want to update this.

Can't disagree with that!  What would you currently recommend as stable?

> I assume you combined the intermediate cert into the regular cert file?
> This will not work.

That's funny, it is what I've always done, has always worked, and that's
what the documentation tells me to do in 12501 Security Guide:

"
Step 1: Import server certificate and intermediate CA certificates

The order is important. The server certificate should be imported before
the intermediate CA certificate.

The same file name should be used (chain2cert in this example) when
importing both the server and intermediate CA certificate."

> You need to use:
>
> ssl profile www.something.com
>  keypair-file yourkey.key
>  certificate-file yourcert.crt
>  ca-cert-file your-cert-ca-chain.crt
>  enable-certificate-chaining

As I understand it, ca-cert-file is only required for verifying the certs
of connecting clients, which I am not doing.

My process has worked fine for various other certs and CAs.  This one is
different in that it is the first signed by this CA.  I have also uploaded
the CA root cert for use in the ssl-proxy line.  I have re-downloaded from
the CA the intermediate cert for inclusion (I had some trouble getting
that uploaded, I think perhaps a missing newline at the end was causing
the problem).

An example of a working config for us is:

ssl profile nemo-toclients
 keypair-file nemo_2015.key
 certificate-file nemo_chain_2015.crt
 cipher-suite all-cipher-suites
 enable-certificate-chaining
 session-cache off

ssl profile entrust2048-server
 cipher-suite all-cipher-suites
 disable ssl2 ssl3
 ca-cert-file entrust2048-ca.crt
 session-cache off

server virtual ex2010-cas-lb ...
 predictor round-robin
 port ssl sticky
 port ssl ssl-proxy nemo-toclients entrust2048-server
 port ssl csw-policy "exch2010a"

where nemo_chain_2015.crt contains the server cert and the intermediate,
and entrust2048-ca.crt is the CA root which issued.  The clients get the
cert + intermediates.

Replicating this for this new certificate/intermediate and CA is what is
failing for me.

Danke or the thoughts, but I'm not sure it has helped yet.

Jethro.