[f-nsp] Better traffic distribution on LAG

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Tue Oct 20 16:55:13 EDT 2015

Not sure if it would help in this situation, but you can try the command "load-balance force-l4-hashing". It won't give you more IPs or MACs to hash against, but it will force the MLX to take both the TCP and UDP source & destination ports into account when calculating the hash for a L2 connection.

This is configured in under each individual LAG:
Brocade(config)# lag blue static
Brocade(config-lag-blue)# trunk-type hash-based

Alternately, you can try per-packet load balancing; this is an older method and won't work on routers with more than 16 LAGs though. This method just round-robins the packets evenly across all ports in the lag, but it won't take packet size into account. If you have traffic with lots of different packet sizes, this may not evenly split the traffic.

The configs is the same though:

Brocade(config)# lag blue static
Brocade(config-lag-blue)# trunk-type packet-based

The MLX also supports more fine grained hashing options, like symmetric load-balancing across trunk ports or hash-diversify, but I haven't worked with them heavily and dont want to recoemnd something that could exascerbaste the problems.

Wilbur