[f-nsp] Brocade IPSEC modules

George B georgeb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 22:41:00 EDT 2016

Might be tricky to actually get wire speed throughput (both in and out at
the same time).  A lot will depend on things such as the NUMA architecture,
where is the encryption process(es) running, where are interrupts going to
service the network cards, etc.  There are some NICs that will support
IPSec offload onto the NIC. Something like a Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro VPI
might do the trick (though the NICs are over $1000 each) and you might have
to code your own encryption software, not sure.

Probably doable but you burn 2U of rack space for that Dell vs a half a
slot in an MLX.  If you are doing a lot of these sorts of connections, it
probably pays to just buy the card for the MLX.  If you have someone
sitting around with a lot of cycles to spare and they have the expertise to
duplicate the performance, sure, I guess the hardware cost might be less,
but you are probably paying that person more than the card costs.