[f-nsp] IronWare 8.0.40 not supported on most products...

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 03:10:13 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Mike Allen <mkallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert, I am forwarding this into the product team at Brocade.  It does
> sound disconcerting, but what I will say is that new software will continue
> to be released for the ICX6xxx series, it will be as patch or maintenance
> releases.  I believe the reason for this is that there are some major
> features being added in the next couple of releases, and the older hardware
> will not support some of these.  Over the past few versions, some specific
> minor features have been ported or back-rev'd into certain patch releases
> as well, so I wouldn't view this as the end of the line in any way for the
> ICX 6xxx product.  There are some unique advantages in the newer 7xxx
> hardware, but the 6610s are still very versatile platforms.

Hi Mike

But from my point of view Patch & Maintenance means dead product. Let me do
quick explanation - from perspective of existing customer running 300+
ICX'es 6430/6450/6610/6650 as Patch & Maintenance means simply that any new
even software features (I picked up two very usefull features just for give
you example) will not appear in switches which we're using - eg. in 8.0.30
build.

Examples of new features from 8.0.40 which we probably never see in 8.0.30:
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08040-managementguide/GUID-CE006189-671C-4623-B49E-F867FED75CEB.html
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/command-reference-guide/fastiron-08040-commandref/GUID-9C96575B-639F-411A-9D09-7E5E455F5498.html

Explanation for vendor is really simple. Integrating these features in
8.0.30 or even release 8.0.40 without new hardware features (ERSPAN, SPX)
costs because software teams receiving payrolls. But after that probably we
will not buy any new Brocade switch again. Imagine your potential profit
loss (due we will not buy anything new from Brocade) VS cost of software
teams. Maybe Brocade is not interested spending money for dead products as
they have new products - 7250/7450/7750 series. But it not just cost - it's
about customer satisfaction and vendor trust.

>From my perspective as former programmer I don't see what is problem with
integrating some software features into older software release ? Is it
really so big effort and cost ? I always receiving feedback from PMs that
becouse product testing cost a lot. This never convince me - as saying that
testing cost a lot is pure bullshit as I hit a lot of times in bugs for new
features/platforms which simply means that money for testing if mostly
wasted.

Just want to add it never happen to Cisco or even HP Procurve products -
old switches are still receiving software features.
Asked my friend regarding EX series in JNPR - also old EX still receiving
new functions.

Rob