[f-nsp] Transceiver "not supported" on ICX7750 in Breakout-Mode

Franz Georg Köhler lists at openunix.de
Thu May 19 09:45:35 EDT 2016

Am 18.05.16 um 16:12 schrieb ekoyle+puck.nether.net at gmail.com (Eldon
Koyle):
> You can run 40G without stacking on the 7750, although you may need to
> change some default stacking settings.  What code version are you running?

Hello,
we are running 08040a.

The Brocade manual says:
> In release 8.0.30, the breakout support on the 40G interfaces will be supported on a standalone mode only. Breakout ports will not be supported with stacking configuration.
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/feature-guide/brocade-icx7750-breakout-ports-fg/GUID-459FAE8C-4013-4E6C-9AE9-BEE4977BA22C.html

But this was just a side note as we did not expect such a limitation and
were suprised when we discovered that information in the manual.

> I suspect support for third-party breakout cables is very limited.

Is there any difference on the switch side if there is a breakout cacble
connected? Is there such a thing like hardware support for breakout cables?

Until now, I was under the impression that a 40G port is just an
aggregated 4x10G port and the switch just needs to deactivate the
aggregation in order to break out? Am I wrong?

Best regards,

Franz Georg Köhler