[f-nsp] Brocade XMR / Juniper iBGP Interoperability

Daniel Stephens ds-lists at ndnx.net
Wed Nov 16 11:40:30 EST 2016

Hi James,

These are older XMR cards, basically the equivalent of the MLX –X cards.

Module                                                      Status                       Ports
M1 (left ):NI-XMR-MR Management Module                      Active
M2 (right):
F1: NI-X-SF  Switch Fabric Module                           Active
F2: NI-X-SF  Switch Fabric Module                           Active
F3:
S1:
S2: NI-XMR-1Gx20-SFP 20-port 1GbE/100FX Module              CARD_STATE_UP                20
S3:
S4: NI-XMR-10Gx4 4-port 10GbE Module                        CARD_STATE_UP                4

SSH at xmr01#sh cam-partition slot 4

CAM partitioning profile: ipv4-ipv6-2

Slot 4 XPP20SP 0:
# of CAM device                = 4
Total CAM Size                 = 917504 entries (63Mbits)

IP: Raw Size 786432, User Size 786432(0 reserved)
  Subpartition  0: Raw Size 2048, User Size 2048, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  1: Raw Size 718865, User Size 718865, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  2: Raw Size 54814, User Size 54814, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  3: Raw Size 8245, User Size 8245, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  4: Raw Size 1639, User Size 1639, (0 reserved)

IPv6: Raw Size 131072, User Size 65536(0 reserved)
  Subpartition  0: Raw Size 2048, User Size 1024, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  1: Raw Size 117744, User Size 58872, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  2: Raw Size 9328, User Size 4664, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  3: Raw Size 1280, User Size 640, (0 reserved)
  Subpartition  4: Raw Size 384, User Size 192, (0 reserved)

Under normal conditions, the XMR would have one full table BGP session to an upstream, and 3 iBGP sessions (1 to another XMR, 2 to Juniper MX). Each of the iBGP sessions would provide full routes as well.

The issue did not surface until we attempted to integrate the MX network into the XMR network, and is affecting both of our XMR units when we send routes from the MX towards the XMR.

Thanks,
Daniel

What about management modules? Do you have other full-route BGP sessions on that 10Gbps card, and just the Juniper ones are having issues? With a -X module as listed above, and ipv4-ipv6-2 CAM partition, you should see something like this:

SSH at router#show cam-partition slot 2

CAM partitioning profile: ipv4-ipv6-2

Slot 2 XPP20SP 0:
# of CAM device                = 4
Total CAM Size                 = 917504 entries (63Mbits)

IP: Raw Size 786432, User Size 786432(0 reserved)

Does it show that?

-James