[f-nsp] Brocade SLX 9850

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Sun Sep 25 23:04:23 EDT 2016

The initial launch of the SLX is targeted at the datacenter core/edge and for large internet peering providers, but that’s just because we’re taking a conservative approach to rolling out new features in the code; better to launch with a limited, but stable feature set than breaking everything (aka the original Nexus launch).

Price is very completive for high-density 10G/40G/100G and not a single port on the box is oversubscribed. There’s also a built in hypervisor to run a Linux based VM for analytics. The chassis has a separate OOB data path for mirroring traffic to the analytics VM, so a customer can deploy their own application/script onto the VM, then configure the chassis to send a copy of data traversing the chassis directly to that VM. This is all done without impacting the existing backplane bandwidth, so heavy network load wont stall out the onboard analytics function. This is a major capability we built into SLX at the request of our large cloud & service provider customers.

The OS that runs on the SLX is also Ubuntu based, so for the first time you can run scripts directly on the box similar to our fiber channel switches or what you can do with Juniper.

Wilbur