[f-nsp] ICX and EPS 4000

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Thu Feb 2 12:48:09 EST 2017

Well,
Curiosity killed the cat. After I sent the info below I realized I hadn’t worked with the EPS4K, only the 3K. I took a closer look at this and asked some questions. It turns out the EPS4000 does have some management capabilities that didn’t make it into our final public documentation.

You can console into the EPS4000 using the same standard RJ45 console cable and settings you would with an ICX switch. The box also supports telnet though the network port, but it is disabled by default. As for what you can do in the box, you really don’t need to mess with the settings; the defaults are already the optimum settings for the switch. You have the ability to shut power on/off to a specific port and adjust power levels, but please…don’t do this. I’ve never heard of a situation where a Brocade SE had to modify this!

The command you may want to know is how to secure the serial port with a password: “system password XXXXX” If you do set a password, be sure to write it down somewhere safe because I have no idea if this unit has a password recovery mechanism.

One last note on how the EPS functions: The default behavior is for the EPS not to send power to a switch as long as the switch is still receiving power from its own power supply. This means you won’t see any LEDs on the EPS indicating it is powering a switch if the switch’s own power supply is still connected. There are a few edge cases where an ICX will be powered concurrently by the EPS and its own power supply, but this only apply to certain 48 port switches when all ports are providing PoE.

We’re working on a document that outlines all of this that we can provide to customers.

Wilbur