[f-nsp] Basic SNMP MIBs missing

Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr bengelly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 04:25:42 EST 2017

Dear Community,

Just wanted to share a basic / silly / simple experience I have gone
through with our favorite $VENDOR.

We use observium as an NMS for our backbone (MLXe / CERT, FCX,VDX) and I
recently noticed lack of support for basic SNMP MIBs, in particular ones
responsible for gathering transceivers' sensors values for FCX and VDX
switchs.

After opening cases with BTAC, I was told that it was perfectly normal (in
2017 !?!) because those specific MIBs were not implemented by design and
that if I needed them, I should open up RFE requests... which I did with
the help of my local SE :

PRODRFE104332: regarding VDX implementation
PRODRFE104333: regarding FCX implementation

It has also made its' way on Observium's facebook page :
https://fr-fr.facebook.com/observium/

So, if you do love your favorite $VENDOR as much as we do and consider that
your big bucks are worth having basic SNMP support in 2017, please start
harrassing your SEs in order for SNMP MIBs to be implemented.

I hope this feedback will inspire you.

Best regards.