[f-nsp] mlxsh for managing netiron

Jörg Kost jk at ip-clear.de
Thu Jul 6 10:57:06 EDT 2017

Hi,

I gave "brocadecli" a major rewrite and re-named the software to "mlxsh"
(mlx shell) to also reflect the incoming vendor change. I have added
some cool new features to make my life within the Netiron platform more
complete and less miserable, that I also want to share with you. My
favorite things are label-based executions and running one-liners for
maintenance via cron.

Things work as simple as installing the binaries for Mac/Linux/Windows,
without adding tons of python stuff, playbook commands, etc …  ;-)

Have a trial at
https://github.com/ipcjk/mlxsh/releases
or pull as a docker image:
docker run -ti joerg/mlxsh /bin/sh

New features:
- hosts config file in YAML:
- Hostname: frankfurt-rt1
   Username: frankfurt
   Password: password
   EnablePassword: enable
   DeviceType: mlx
   KeyFile: /Users/joerg/.ssh/id_rsa2
   Labels:
     location: frankfurt
     environment: production
     type: mlx
     sweetrouter: yes

- ssh key auth for login
- one-liners on command line:

mlxsh -hostname frankfurt-rt1 -script "show uptime"
mlxsh -hostname frankfurt-rt1 -username operator -password foo -enable
foo -script "show ip bgp summ"

- several commands on command line:
mlxsh -hostname frankfurt-rt1 -script 'show uptime; show module |
include NI-XMR; show version'

- grep-able output:

mlxsh -hostname frankfurt-rt1  -script "show uptime" | grep MP

- label-based execution and configuration on router-groups, also great
for scheduled maintenance within cron, reloading IX-configs at night,
reload the router for testing HA, ….

mlxsh -label "location=frankfurt,type=mlx" -script 'show ip cache'
mlxsh -label "location=munich" -config scripts/bgp_neighbor
mlxsh -label "mission=DECIX" -routerdb='/home/mlxsh/mlxsh.yaml' -config
/home/ixgen/decix

- mass / parallel execution in background on router-groups with the -c
flag, defaults to two
mlxsh -c10 -label "location=munich" -script 'show ip bgp 8.8.8.8'

Best regards
Jörg