[f-nsp] IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning

Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr bengelly at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 04:05:39 EDT 2017

Dear Foundry community,

I'm about to revive an old trolly thread, but boy are they fun.

With the growth of IPv6 DFZ over 32K entries, we have been receiving the
following syslog error message on our MLXe gear :

Jun 13 07:51:02:A:CAM IPv6 partition warning: total 32768 (reserved 0),
free 6, slot 2, ppcr 1
Jun 13 07:51:02:A:CAM IPv6 partition warning: total 32768 (reserved 0),
free 6, slot 2, ppcr 0

We receive full BGP feeds from multiple IP transit providers and YES, we DO
filter prefixes over a /48 size.

Our MLXe act as MPLS PEs and run the following hardware on NI58g :

Module
Status                       Ports    Starting MAC
M1 (left ):BR-MLX-MR2-X Management Module
Standby(Ready State)
M2 (right):BR-MLX-MR2-X Management Module
Active
F1: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
Active
F2: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
Active
F3: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
Active
S1: BR-MLX-10Gx4-X 4-port 10GbE Module
CARD_STATE_UP                4        0024.38a4.fb00
S2: BR-MLX-10Gx4-X 4-port 10GbE Module
CARD_STATE_UP                4        0024.38a4.fb30
S3: BR-MLX-1GFx24-X 24-port 1GbE SFP Module
CARD_STATE_UP                24       0024.38a4.fb60
S4: BR-MLX-1GFx24-X 24-port 1GbE SFP Module
CARD_STATE_UP                24       0024.38a4.fb90

For years, we have been using multi-service-4 CAM profil in order to
provide pure IP connectivity and MPLS connectivity (mostly VPLS) to our
clients.

After investigating with BTAC, they told us that our hardware couldn't
handle much more 32k with this profil :

*http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/netiron-05900-adminguide/GUID-F5A27733-F4A2-4367-8F83-E8A4C3DE6F0E.html*
<http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/netiron-05900-adminguide/GUID-F5A27733-F4A2-4367-8F83-E8A4C3DE6F0E.html>

We only use MPLS VRF for management prurposes. So, we are left with either :

- Heavily filtering IPv6 bgp feeds + accepting a defaut route in order to
get 1 MPLS VRF for management purposes,

- Accepting full IPv6 BGP feed by migrating to ipv4-ipv6-2 Profile, and
loose MPLS VRF.

I seem to recall that someone on this list has been pushing Brocade to
create a special profile to accomodate a very little number of MPLS VRFs.
Did that happen ?

Other than that, how do you guys handle this ? Maybe a nifty trick I'm not
aware of ?

Thank you for your wisdom.

Best regards.