[f-nsp] Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ?

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Fri Mar 31 13:46:44 EDT 2017

The VDX developers are going over to Extreme, so software development on that platform will continue; same for MLX.

I get I’m biased here, but the SLX isn’t a commodity box. Yes, we’re using Broadcom ASICs, but we’re also using Cavium & Xeon-D. We’re also using a lot more of those ASICs than our competition; SLX has a much higher line-rate port density. It also has 36G of port buffers for each module (by comparison Arista has 4G).

But what matters about SLX is that its built for analytics. The entire box is a KVM hypervisor and SLX-OS is a VM that runs on the MP & LPs. In addition to SLX-OS, there’s a separate Ubuntu based VM that a customer can use for analytics & troubleshooting. You can launch VNC & Wireshark from this VM and capture traffic on the fly, or launch a Docker container inside it to run PerfSonar.

You can also write your own code to run in this VM to do whatever you want. There’s a 10G analytics path across the backplane that allows you to capture any traffic from a port & mirror it to this VM. You can then have an application on the VM look at this traffic and take an action, like blocking an DOS attack. We’re bringing over a lot of OSS tools into this VM, like Wireshark, ARP Sponge & PerfSonar, to make troubleshooting & network management easier.

Wilbur