[f-nsp] SLX 9640 experiences

Jörg Kost jk at ip-clear.de
Mon Jun 3 16:03:35 EDT 2019

Not on 9640, but on 9540s, but well about the SLX software itself.

I have found issues on monthly base and even one or two cases seem to be
edge situation within the Broadcom SDK itself, and we are almost running
KISS setups only. I have spent hours and days to debug and document
issues as support cases, almost feeling the support fee shall be
reversed - pay me instead of the vendor.

 From my (limited) personal point of view, there is a lack of allocated
(or not merged) engineering or testing people or at least a big backlog,
that affects identifying and fixing bugs et al.

Also AI & ML or cloud networking is their hot topic, but if they can't
produce a decent device that is not reacting goofy the next minute after
you changed a ACL, you might want head back to the white board and raise
support for your engineering. Networking is not just about WLAN.

The idea and architecture about the SLX is fine and reasonable but
currently it does not run smoothly and "round" like MLX.