[f-nsp] GEN1 linecards + mgr with 10Gx8-M

Clement Cavadore clement at cavadore.net
Wed Mar 6 05:48:49 EST 2019

Dear all,

I have a serie of MLX and XMR routers, with Gen1 modules, for non-DFZ
routing and MPLS stuffs (LDP/VLL). I have a couple of questions:

1- Can I use NI-MLX-10Gx8-M with an XMR management card ?
I have read that it could be possible to mix XMR and MLX cards, with
the result that the whole chassis would be "downgraded" to MLX mode,
but last time I tried, it didn't work: Does it requires a reload ?
Or maybe it's just possible to mix XMR and MLX 10Gx4 linecards, but not
with MLX-10Gx8 ? Anyone has tried this ?

2- I am using a combination of NI-MLX-10Gx8-M and NI-MLX-10Gx4 with 1st
gen NI-MLX-MR on some non-DFZ routers. Is there some kind of limitation
with LACP when mixing ports within those two kind of cards ? I have
several issues where one of the port is blocking, for unknown reasons:

12/3   Up       LACP-BLOCKED 10G   Yes 748e.f85e.1812 xxx#1 [@To CORE:e6/2]
15/4   Up       Forward      10G   Yes 748e.f85e.1812 xxx#2 [@To CORE:e8/2]

I already tried to swap optics on both sides, and ports on remote side
I cannot swap port easily on local side, because of some kind of
limitations (it's VLL terminations, so it's just impossible to have the
same tag-type on a new port, so would have to shutdown the whole lag to
be able to do so). I tried to change the linecard, thinking it was
faulty, with no more luck.

S12 is a NI-MLX-10Gx8-M, and S15 is a NI-MLX-10Gx4,
and we are running 5.6.

Any experience/feedback would be appreciated :-)

Regards

Clément