[f-nsp] SLX 9640 experiences

Fredy Künzler kuenzler at init7.net
Wed Apr 29 09:42:07 EDT 2020

Dear James, dear all,

due to COVID19 we are delayed but I can share some experience:

- we have two 9640SLX with actual payload.

- we have 20+ 9640SLX physically deployed but not yet with payload.
Working on configuration automation, soon (hopefully)

Config CLI is even closer to Cisco than on MLXe/XMR.

Power consumption and efficiency is very good. And, I know it doesn't
matter, but nevertheless, the SLX is actually good looking.

Some issues:

- no RPKI filtering yet

- issues with 3rd party optics (Flexoptix) acceptance on the version 20
tree (18.b is ok)

- "dhcp ztp cancel" is the command you want to execute immediately after
plugging the OOB cable...

So far we don't regret buying SLX9640 yet.

I expect within the next two months to have most of the XMR and MLXe
retired, with the SLXes as primary workhorses within AS13030.

Best regards,

Fredy / Init7