Heath Paint

Ray Mack mack at MAILS.IMED.COM
Thu Apr 3 11:17:45 EST 1997

Hey Y'all:
        I remember from some time last year that someone suggested
spraying a Heath cabinet from a significant distance to get the kinda
rough look to the paint.  I tried it and it works great!

        I made the mistake of trying to clean the cover for an HG10
VFO in the dishwasher on the bottom shelf near the high strength
stream of water.  That combined with the Cascade ate the paint right
off one side of the cabinet!   At least the smoke residue is gone :<)
I saw Ben Hall mention a while back that Cascade actually works as a
paint stripper.  Wish I had seen that post first!  It *was* an
education in painting though and there *were* a few rust spots that
would have needed tending to.   Guess there is always a BA silver
lining.

        Here are some of the things I found during the process:
1)  There are 4 different shades of green on 4 different Novice type
boxes (2 HR10B, 1 DX 60B, 1 HG10B).
2)  there are 3 different styles of "splatter" finish on these boxes
3)  Krylon Satin green is a pretty close match for the dark green
4)  Using the far away method wastes a lot of paint!

I'll have to try the Testors paint to see how it compares for match.

The finish on one HR10B and the re-painted HG10B are sort of a small
kinda pointy bump finish.  The SB201 here at work, the other HR10B,
and the DX60B have various amounts of little round soft shaped
splatter bumps.  Obviously they had several different processes for
painting during the same time frame.

Ray Mack
WD5IFS
mack at mails.imed.com