Heath paint??

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Tue Apr 15 15:00:07 EDT 1997

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, jerry wrote:

> Gang,
>
> Does anyone know any source for matching Heath "green" paint or anything
> pretty close to it??  I have a cabinet to re-paint and some touching up to
> do.  Thanks
>
> Jerry
> WD9CTB

Jerry,
        Here is a posting I saved from last year that may help.

>From: wa8vnz at Hamgate.Flint.Umich.EDU
>Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
>Subject: Heathkit paint finish
>Date: 15 Mar 96 13:30:23 GMT
>
>Hello
>
>       I have built and owned many heathkits over the years.  Quite a
>few years ago I ordered some touch-up paint for both the green crackle
>front panels and the gray cases.  These came in small bottles similar to
>model airplane paint and was ok for touching up chips where the aluminum
>would show through but  appeared to be no different than any other
>touch-up paint. No noticeable crinkle other than what you could produce
>with the brush by dabbing the paint.  I have no knowledge of spray paint
>in a can but that is not to say that they didnt make it available.
>
>       One tip for cleaning both the cases and the faceplates that I
>have found works quite well is to remove anything that you can that is
>attached, then wet a  wash-rag and scrub regular bar soap into the rag
>and then use quite vigorously over the panel or case.  In cases where
>stubborn stains or real heavy dirt is present let the wet mixture work a
>while before rinsing and scrub again.  This has produced very good
>results making the finish almost like new and removing dirt p present on
>the low spots of the crinkle finish.  I also  experimented with the use
>of a bit of glossy sealant to make them shine a bit and this worked good
>also.
>
>Good Luck
>
>WA8VNZ
>Mark McCann
>
>E-mail   wa8vnz at hamgate.Flint.Umich.edu

        I gotta go.

                                          Regards,

                                          Chris

     ,----------------------.
    / If you understand it,  \      Circuit Design for the
   /   then it's obsolete!   /            RF Impaired
   \  _______,--------------'
  _ |/
 oo\                                 Chris Trask / N7ZWY
(__)\       _                        Principal Engineer
  \  \    .'  `.                     ATG Design Services
   \  \  /      \                    P.O. Box 25240
    \  '"        \                   Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__          Email:  ctrask at primenet.com

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks