QRP kits, etc.,....

ED WELCH ed.welch at CHEAHA.COM
Mon Apr 21 21:22:00 EDT 1997

Quoting Dick Dillman...

-> As to the modern QRP rigs, I've seen these only at swapmeets... and I
-> was impressed.  The things that prevented me from going this route
-> were cost, single band capability (for most) and difficulty of
-> building.  The QRP list is loaded with guys with problems building
-> various models.

There's some good QRP kits/rigs to be had out there.  Dick is right
about the majority of the kits being single-band rigs.  The Oak
Hills Research OHR400 (bands are hardwired in) is a multi-band rig as is
the Wilderness Radio (Norcal) Sierra (bands are in module form).  These
might not be for the beginning builder as they are a bit "involved". But
given time and patience, certainly buildable.

The single-band rigs are normally within easy reach of the new builder.
Small Wonder Labs, Kanga, OHR, Wilderness, and the list goes on.  I've
only been a ham since last July, but 3 months after getting my ticket I
purchased a Wilderness Radio NorCal 40a kit (40 meter/1.5 watt) for
around $130 delivered.  I'd never soldered *anything* prior to this.
I took my time, rechecked myself often and the baby fired up the first
time, some tweaking and the addition of a 10-turn pot really made this
peanut-whistle shine! :) Super-heterodyne, narrow-filter, about 50mhz
tuning range, RIT... Very nice little rig.

I've now got a OHR400 waiting in the wings to build....my confidence is
stronger and I *know* I can build it.  If I run into problems the guys
on the QRP-L list will *SWAMP* me with help.<g>  Sure there's problems
in building a kit...some are hardware problems, some are builder
problems.....but they all can be overcome.

I'll never forget the first signals coming in through the rig *I* built.
And I definitely won't forget the first time I heard my call coming
through the headphones attached to the NC40a. :)  Really gave me a
charge!

Heath Kits were a little before my ham-days, but I'm sure there were
problems encountered building them and I'm sure there were folks that
were just as excited as I was when they heard their first signals come
through on a rig they had built.  The end result isn't just a radio, but
a radio that you built yourself!  Got something to do with pride or
something. :)

I was hesitant to dive into kit-building, but I'm sure glad I took the
plunge.  Heathkits are not available anymore as new kits, but there are
some good new rigs/kits out there.  Heathkit fired and ignited many a
ham's interest in electronics and building...these other kit-vendors
are doing there part in carrying on a very important part of amateur
radio, a tradition of self-reliance, electronics knowledge, and
individual pride in what we do.

Dick is right, there are guys having problems building kits, but they're
also learning while they solve there problems.  And really....if you
figure how many kits are being built, the "problems" are few.

Oh, to stay on the topic of the list, I've got an HW-8, an HW-101, and a
couple of pieces of test equipment.  Great kits that have brought the
kit market to where it's at today.  We owe a lot to HeathKit.

FWIW.

72/73
Ed Welch KF4KRV