QRP kits, etc.,....

Richard H. Arland k7sz at JUNO.COM
Tue Apr 22 17:44:51 EDT 1997

Hi Gang:

I have in depth exprience with NorCal and SWL kits. NN1G's SWL kits are
fine units and they perform well. The NorCal 40A from Wilderness is also
a good beginners kit. All these kits (including my Wilderness Sierra)
worked from the get-go and have been stellar performers.

The new entry from Wilderness is called the SST and will be a much more
spartan version of the NorCal-40A. This unit is another Wayne Berdick,
N6KR, design. The SST is designed for the backpacker or hicker or biker
in mind. If it performs like it;s big brothers, and I have every reason
to believe it will, the SST will be a very popular rig.

An SST and a St.Louis Vertical (SLV) with the W6MMA coil conversion kit
will make a very small, lightweight easily transportable package that
will be fun to use. I will be using the SLV/MMA vertical at the
Wright-Patt AFB campground the weekend of Dayton (also Armed Forces Day)
with a GRC-109. Should be fun.

Outside of the SCAF filter kit, I have absolutely no experience with OHR
kits. What I have seen with the SCAF kit is good.

Unfortunately the HW series (7, 8, & 9) pale by comparison to these newer
kit offerings from NorCAl, Wilderness Radio, SWL and OHT. BUT there is
something to be said for hauling out the old HW-7 and fighing the
intermod on 40 meters!

73 rich K7SZ