5AR4/GZ34 Tube Wanted

Multi-Volti Devices MULTI-VOLTI at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Sat Aug 2 00:43:41 EDT 1997

My second comment on this matter.  I know of a couple audio-heads who
are perfectly happy with SS rectification and even regulators with tube
audio. Of course, there are many who hate the above becuase they do
sound different. It depends what you like I guess. SS rectifiers are
inescapable if you want to beef up the power supply capacitance; the
tube rectifiers won't handle the peak currents charging the increased
capacitance, and will fail earlier than they would with an 'in spec'
capacitance. Many new amps use SS rectifiers; they just were designed
properly, taking to account all the effects. It's the retrofits where
the consequences have not been anticipated and planned for.

The only 5AR4/GZ34's I have seen at the outrageous prices you refer to
are the ultra-audiophile ones. Unless your tastes have elevated beyond
the garden-variety ones, I suggest pursuing the cheaper ones, with a
bias (no pun) towards the Russian tubes from a reliability perspective.

If you search enough magazines (try Glass Audio), and post on
rec.audio.,tubes you'll find reasonably priced parts.

Murray
Multi-Volti Devices