Reference materials

Rowland1 rowland1 at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Aug 3 10:00:35 EDT 1997

Here is a list of Heath reference publications, one or more of which
contain the answers to many of the questions that are posted on this
net.  These are not mainstream pubs -- I got most of them from
classified ads in QST and elsewhere over the past two years.  None are
very expensive but they have proved to be invaluable to me.
(1) "Heath Nostalgia" by Terry Purdue, K8TP, l992, ISBN0-9637627-02,
published in Snohomish, WA, $9.95 postpaid (in l994), from -
    Heath Nostalgia
    4320-196th St SW    Suite B-ll
    Lynwood, Washington 98036-6754

This is a 124 page history of the Heath company.

(2) "Heathkit -- A Guide to the Amateur Radio Products" by Chuck Penson,
WA7ZZE, no ISBN number, published by Electric Radio Press, Inc.,
Durango, CO, lst printing l995. Don't remember the price.
This is a great book, a short history of Heath, info on buying and
selling Heathkits, the guide itself which gives the years each product
was made, along with a description of each one.  The original selling
price as well, tips on things to watch out for, the relative rarity of
each product, even the dimensions and weight of each one and much more.
There are also product indexes, both by model and by type, a section of
product references showing articles from CQ and QST inluding which
issues contain product reviews, modifications, and other good scoops.
Chuck's address is : Chuck Penson, WA7ZZe, PO Box 2414, St. Paul MN
55102.

(3) The "Ham Price Guide" by Eugene Rippen, l996.  His address:  c/o
Sound Values, PO Box 9, Auburn, California, 95604.  Not expensive, can't
remember price.
This is both a price guide listing some known selling prices of a
tremendous number of the products of many manufacturers that were sold
on the used market between l993 and l995, and a guide to identifying the
equipment.  Mr. Rippen has also published "The Tube-type Transmitter
Guide", which lists gear made from l922 to l970.

For manuals I have found the following sources very useful:
(1) Puett Electronics, PO Box 28572, Dallas, TX 75228.

In addition to manuals for all manner of gear, one of their
publications, #PC687, "The Heathkit Equipment Guide" contains 30 pages
of illustrated ads for Heath test, audio and ham gear from l948 to l968.
It is not all inclusive, but is worth the $8.95 I paid for it.
Their general catalog is calles "The Antique Radio Catalog" and includes
manuals, literature and much else.  I cannot locate its price, but write
to them or phone (214) 321-0927 or 327-8721, 7AM to 10PM CST, 365 days a
year

(2) The Manual Man, P.A. Markavage, 27 Walling St, Sayreville, NJ
08872-1818. ((08)238-8964 voice or fax.  Excellent source. Prompt,
friendly and reliable.

(3) Hi Manuals, PO Box 802, Council Bluffs, IA 51502.  Before you can
order, they require that you send $2.00 for their latest catalog.  No
telephone inquiries.  This is a small but very good service operated by
W0JJK, a 20 plus year employee of the old Leo Meyerson World Radio labs,
(WRL). He retired in l983 and has manuals on most ham gear from l935
through l972, and Kenwood through l983, plus miscellaneous other stuff.
Very prompt service.

I know some of you may already be aware of these services, but judging
from many of the queries I've seen on the net it is clear that many are
not. I hope this information will be of use to them

Keith  K4KGW