Transmitter Behind Bars!

Adam McLaughlin kd6poc at JPS.NET
Wed Aug 13 01:43:15 EDT 1997

Dear Dick,

It is an Apache!

I spent the night on Alcatraz Island operating W6LFJ on the last weekend in
July. Great place to operate, it was also great to sleep in Robert Stroud's
cell. Glad I didn't do it!

You would be amazed at the view at 4 AM from the Lighthouse. Even more
amazing was the level of noise out there on the rock. NONE.

I tried during the middle of the night when there was nobody there to break
it out, but I couldn't becuase I thought I would sink the boat that we
crossed the bay on! My poor little HRO-500 almost got tossed over because of
the weight issue.

Glad you enoyed the trip,

Very 73,

Adam

>I've just returned from a visit to Alcatraz with my niece who's
>visiting for a week.  I've been there several times and highly
>recommend it as one of the better tourist trips here in San Francisco.
>
>But this time there was a new addition in the central guard's control
>room.  There, behind the bullet proof glass and next to the antique
>intercom switchboard sat... a Heath HX-10 Marauder!  I guess it was
>placed there with the thought that all electronics-type things are
>pretty much the same but there it sits, complete with PTT hand held
>microphone.
>
>I say we go bust that baby outa there!
>
>Regards,
>
>Dick