BA Breakout!

Dick Dillman ddillman at IGC.APC.ORG
Wed Aug 13 21:44:06 EDT 1997

Wow, I never realized what a feisty bunch a group of apparently mild
mannered boatanchor enthusiasts can be!  My note about the Heath
transmitter held captive on Alcrataz in the middle of San Francisco
bay produced quite a reaction.  When one of our precious artifacts is
threatened our true nature comes to the fore!

Bill Meara suggested that we land the PBY Catalina off shore and, I
assume, infiltrate the island in rubber boats to make off with our
prize.  I like the idea of a BA being flown away in an even older BA.

Ed Zeransky of the military radio collector's group suggested we get
ready with black stocking caps and black face makeup.  But showing his
willingness to compromise he figured we might offer some bit of more
modern commercial gear as a hostage swap.

Greg Anders wants in on the operation but quite sensibly suggested
that we stop off for a fine Italian meal in North Beach on the way.
'Course that would mean we'd probably all end up taking naps rather
than invading Alcatraz!

And finally, Adam McLaughlin of the Heath list wrote to graciously
point out that I had mis-identified the transmitter.  According to
Adam it's not a Marauder at all but an Apache.  While the fact that
I'm not a Heath expert has been amply demonstrated by this error it
also means that Les Zwiebel's suggestion that the radio was doing time
for reckless marauding is probably not true.  Instead I suspect it to
be an acknowledgement of the occupation of The Rock by native
Americans after it was abandoned as a prison.

Adam mentioned that he knows the correct identification of the
transmitter because... he operated from The Rock as W6LFJ in July!
That's an adventure I'm sure we'd all like to hear more about.  Wonder
if it counted for DXCC?

73,

Dick

                             Dick Dillman