Wanted: info on PW-3A RF Probe

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Aug 13 22:35:04 EDT 1997

I don't know if this will help, but I have the assembly instructions on the
PK-3A RF
Voltmeter probe made by Heath Kit for use with a VTVM.   The PK-3A probe
was designed to work with any 11 Meg Ohm input VTVM.

The specs for the PK-3A Probe were:

Frequency Range 1000 Hz to 100 MHz

Max Voltage was 90 V if you wired it up with 3 diodes and 30 V if you wired
it up with 1 diode.  (I use two probes one for HV and another for low
voltage.)  I suggest you go down Radio Shack and get a pack of 1N34A
diodes.  I occasionally mess up and burn a diode out.

Diode Type According to the assembly instructions Heath used 1N191
Germanium Diodes.  I have a Heath probe and also several HB probes all
wired the
same except for the diode types.  On the HB probes I use 1N34A and cannot
tell any
difference between them and the Heath using the 1N191.  Remember it is
important you
use Germanium diodes.

73

Steve Ray    K4JPN   ex K1VKW   HW-101, HW-8, SWL 30-40 and NC 38S Heath
Kit fan