Heathkit Service Bulletins - HA-XX Series (Complete)

Randy Kaeding randyk at PARRETT.NET
Wed Dec 17 21:44:04 EST 1997

Please make note that the HA-201 is not a walkie talkie. It is a 2-meter
amplifier for use with a 2-meter hand held.

Tnx,

Randy, K8TMK
"One of the Hams at Heath"

----------

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
> [...]
>         more than one-half volt P-P ripple will induce hum in the output.
>
> III.    Insertion Loss
>
>         Expect to experience loss of power when the amplifier is not
> keyed up,
>         [low drive power].
>
>         1.  The unit exhibits a 1.5 to 1 VSWR when not keyed up causing
> any
>               wattmeter connected in the drive circuit to read
> erroneously.
>
>         2.  The higher VSWR while the unit is not keyed will cause the
> output
>               of the driver to be slightly detune.
>
>               This VSWR will be lowered considerably when the units keyed
> up
>               because the reactance will be tuned out of the drive line
> by the input
>               circuit.
>
>               The power meter should be connected between the amplifier
> output
>               and the dummy load.  Any readings between the driver and
> amplifier
>               can be misleading.  Suggested reading:  ARRL Handbook -
>               Transmission Lines.
>
> IV.      Load
>
>         High VSWR results in mistuning of the output trimmers.
>
>         1.  Check for indications of arcs across the mica in the output
> trimmer.
>               They must be replaced if any found.
>
> V.      Drive Considerations
>
>         Please avoid any usage outside of 5-15 watt specification.
>
>         Failure of the transistors may occur if too high.
>
>         The amplifier may not key up if power is too low.
>
> VI.     Mounting
>
>         Thermal conditions are always a consideration.  Suggest not to be
>         mounted in engine compartment.  Consider mounting low in the
> trunk
>         allowing for the heated air to rise.  The specs call for a range
> of - 30 deg
>         F. to 140 deg F.
>
> VII.    Tuning Up
>
>         A slight additional power level can be achieved by tuning the
> unit with the
>         cover ON.  We will be providing a cover with holes in it for
> service only.
>         DO NOT recommend to the customer to drill holes in HIS unit.  The
> cover
>         provides for a dust free environment which may help increase the
> relay
>         contact life, among other things.
>
> VIII.   Connections
>
>         You may recommend, if desired by the customer, to change the
> phono
>         connectors to BNC's.
>
>         SO-239 connectors exhibit a bump in the line.  DO NOT use or
>                    recommend these.
>
> IX.     Cables Supplied
>
>         All the specifications were measured using the full length of
> cables
>         supplied.  Do not expect any less performance because the full
> lengths         were used.
>
> X.      Schematic Error
>
>         The top condition of ferrite bead L8 goes to the collector of Q2.

November