HW-7 out of storage

Dave Simmons dsimmons at MACROMEDIA.COM
Wed Jul 9 19:21:45 EDT 1997

I just did some poking around the net, found this list and subscribed ...

After about 20 years off the air, I've dragged my old Heathkit HW-7 out and
decided to give it a try.  Got it fired up, and now I remember what a poor
reciever it is.  (My 10' long wire antenna probably doesn't help much.)

The problems are very low sensitivity, a fairly loud of hum, and
microphonics (I'm not sure of the term) where the audio channel picks up
the sound of me doing anything.

So I've got some questions:

*  Does anyone have information about modifications to the HW-7 ?

*  I found some QST indexes that refer to articles:

        Heathkit HW-7 modifications - QST Jan 1974
        Slippers for the HW-7 transciever - QST Dec 1975
        RIT for the HW-7 - QST Jul 1975
        New Front End for Heath HW-7 - QST Dec 1973

        Is there any source for old QST articles around ?

*  Any recommendations on reviving this old rig ?

Many thanks,

 - Dave WB2EJO

Dave Simmons                       "Beware of geeks bearing GIFs"
Sound Development Manager Emeritus
dsimmons at macromedia.com