Florescent desk lamps

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Mon Jul 21 12:19:38 EDT 1997

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Ray Mack wrote:

> Hey Y'all:
>         I hope this isn't off topic for y'all (this is really a test
> equipment topic), but one problem I have had repeatedly both at work
> and in the shack is that the florescent desk lamp with a magnifier for
> my failing eye sight goes through a ballast about every 2 years.  I
> had been buying them directly from Luxo for a lot of money and lots of
> shipping time.
>
>         I was browsing through Builders Square (soon to also be
> Hechingers for those on the East Coast) and found they carry a little
> ballast for 24 inch straght tubes that also is the right one for the 8
> inch cicular ones used in the desk lamps.  I needed to do some surgery
> to remove the mounting tabs, but it fit the housing just fine after
> the surgery.  Now both desk lamps in the shack are back running.

        I have also discovered that the bulbs are available from Home
Depot for far less than what you will pay elsewhere.

                                          Regards,

                                          Chris

     ,----------------------.
    / If you understand it,  \      Circuit Design for the
   /   then it's obsolete!   /            RF Impaired
   \  _______,--------------'
  _ |/                               Chris Trask / N7ZWY
 oo\                                 Principal Engineer
(__)\       _                        ATG Design Services
  \  \    .'  `.                       P.O. Box 25240
   \  \  /      \                 Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
     .       (  ) \                    Technical Editor,
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP Quarterly
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks