HW-101

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Jul 26 23:11:36 EDT 1997

Gang,

I sure got a lot of replies to my first posting on the HW-101 interest I
have.  I will work up what I have over the next few days.   One of the
simplest and best mods is to replace the 6EA8 at V1 used as the mic amp for
a 6CQ8.  Over the years there have been articles in 73 etc.  to increase
the weak mic gain, these include using one of the unused 1/2 of the 6EA8
used elsewhere in the rig and also a simple transistorized amp that plugs
and then you plug in the 6EA8.

I found out years ago that the 6EA8 at V1 could go into oscillation that
would show up as a spur when transmitting.  The fix was to replace the 6EA8
with a new one.  Finally heard about using a 6CQ8 for V1 and licked the
oscillation problem and the weak audio gain problem.  The best part of this
simple
mod is all you have to do is unplug the 6EA8 and plug in the 6CQ8.

Obviously this is applicable also to the SB 100 series rigs as they use
the same circuitry as the HW-101.

I have a bunch of other stuff I will work up over the next few days.

73

Steve Ray    K4JPN   ex K1VKW   HW-101, HW-8, SWL 30-40 and NC 38S Heath
Kit fan

73