HW-8 Stability

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Jul 28 21:42:07 EDT 1997

The following is a simple mod I have done to my HW-8 to improve the
stability.

I simply broke the power line where it feeds into the circuit board (after
the power switch) and run it through Radio Shack 7812 regulator. Then I
feed the output of the regulator on to the circuit board at Point D.   I
use (2.2 mf caps on either side of the 7812) I then remove the wire that
goes to the final at C92 and RFC3 and run it right to the power switch.  I
then run the rig off 15 Volts with a considerable improvement in stability
at a low cost.  I mounted the 7812 on the inside back of the rig.  The nice
part about the 7812 is that the heat sink on it is a ground so no special
insulators are required.

73

Steve Ray    K4JPN   ex K1VKW   HW-101, HW-8, SWL 30-40 and NC 38S Heath
Kit fan