HW-8 problems-any ideas?

Al Bolton Al_Bolton at MON.BBC.CO.UK
Tue May 27 10:49:00 EDT 1997

Hello,

I have recently bought a Heathkit HW-8 in reasonable condition. It works
fairly well except 1)althought the receiver is working ok on 40m, there is
no 40m output. Connecting a scope and counter to the output reveals that
around 5.3 MHz is being produced! When you alter the setting of the  "load"
capacitor,  a small change in frequency of the output occurs (but it's still
 around 5.3 MHz). It seems to make very little difference adjusting the
cores of the  2 big coils (which have cans) or changing the settings of any
of the postage stamp trimmers or smaller coils. It seems that there must be
either a dry joint somewhere or a component or coil is faulty. Any ideas
about this? I have to say that I don't have a schematic for the circuit at
present otherwise I could probably fix it easily!

2)The power output is really rather low being about 1 watt on 80m, 1 watt on
20 m and about 0.5 w on 21 MHz. I believe that the pa can be replaced by a
higher rated device but it would seem that something must be mis-tuned
somewhere.

I would appreciate any help or tips. Also I'm interested in anything general
about the HW-8.

Thanks,
Al Bolton, G4VSQ/OK8VSQ.