Apache/Mohawk...Question...?

Rob Frans fransr at ISERV.NET
Sun Nov 2 03:49:05 EST 1997

Hi... I just got my Apache/Mohawk on the air this weekend... After much concentration, I got the wires configured from the SB-10, the accessory sockets and the dow key relay...  Everything loads up nicely... BUT... Is there a way to be able to monitor the CW signal that I am sending out??? I have the receiver muted when I am in transmit, (assuming to protect the receiver)     so I hear silence when I am transmitting... Is there a way to hear my keying without damaging the receiver?

Next question... do I NEED the receiver muted (standby) from an rf overload from the transmitter (using aux switching contacts on the dow key relay) , or does simply shifting the antenna in the dow key relay from the receiver to the transmiter, safely diminish the signal coming from the transmitter to the front end of the receiver...?

As you can tell, I am a neophyte when it comes to firing up these "separate units."  Any advice would be great!  I am so excited to have this vintage of Heathkit up and running!

73, Rob