Hero Jr. advice needed....

Aaron Hayden Aaron_J_Hayden at STUDENT.FERRIS.EDU
Fri Nov 14 18:15:01 EST 1997

 Hello,

 Today I aquired a Hero Jr. and of course HAD to play w/ it. It has been
sitting for an
unknown time. Before storage it was completely operational w/ no problems.
  My
boss (who gave it to me) said the batterys may be dead, but should run ok
once
plugged in. Well, I plugged it in and after some fiddleing got the test
sequece that it is
supposed to do.  However, it get's to about the point where it tests the
drive motor and
then it starts all over. It doesn't always start repeating at the same
spot. Sometimes
after the light sensor, sometimes in the middle of the drive test.  Then,
sometimes I
get a "Memory failure" message then it says, "Ready". At first I would
press a button
and it would begin whatever I told it to do (e.g. gab, speak whatever) then
 it would
freeze mid task. I took all of the chips out one by one out of the CPU
board thinking
perhaps there was some corrosion preventing good contact. (This happens
often to
the computer controllers at work).  Now, it still repeats the test
sequence, I still
sometimes get the memory failure. But.... I can now make it perform
whatever I want
when I get the memory failure (short of movement because it is plugged in).
  My
question is, how can I get past the test sequence??? What did I do that
improved
somethings? Does anyone have any sugestion on this??? I think there is some

keypad type thing that I can plug into Hero that allows programing (other
that the
key pad on it's head)  I don't have this. Supposedly I can program Hero
using
a C64, if I can find the card and software... It appears now that the
batterys are toast
and it no longer charges. Any bright ideas on what to do for a barrery?
Thanks for any help.....

Aaron

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov