RCA Plug

Sandy W5TVW ebjr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Nov 24 15:36:49 EST 1997

At 11:28 AM 11/24/97 +0000, you wrote:
>At 03:10 AM 11/24/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>>Ray:  These are lousy RF connectors.
>
>....actually, they're not. PL259/SO239's are worse electrically.
>
>Collins used RCA jacks for RF and they didnt make junk.
>I'd leave 'em be. Almost any electrical outlet can get you supplied
>with good quality RCA plug/jacks.
>        Respectfully,
>        /John

The lowly RCA phono connector was used quite a bit in older tube type
450 mhz radios!  I used to have a low opinion of them at ome time, but
they are actually quite good at UHF if they are of good quality!

The BNC connector may or may not be better!  A lot of BNC's ar not
"constant impedance" connectors and do leak quite a bit of RF.
The ONLY connector that is a good secure, constant impedance
one is the type "N" series.  I have seen untold problems in FM repeater
applications caused by UHF/BNC connectors!  The FAA used to use
NOTHING but type "N"'s in their VOR and VORTAC installations, as they
didn't have trouble when the system was "swept" before use!
A pretty good "small" connector is the "TNC" series, albeit inconvienant
screw on mating.  Also excellent for tiny coax is the "SMA" series
which is quite good at microwave frequencies!

Out of the entire lot, the "UHF" series (PL-259/so-239) is perhaps
the worst connector made at VHF and UHF!  A big "impedance
bump" is almost guaranteed!
73,
E. V. Sandy Blaize, W5TVW
"Boat Anchors collected, restored, repaired, traded and used!"
417 Ridgewood Drive
Metairie, LA., 70001

**860 Hartley 'ECO' under construction****
*** Looking for a TRC-10 transceiver ******