It's really just too bad...

Richard Post post at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Oct 2 11:04:21 EDT 1997

John Heck wrote:
>Folks,
>I picked up a piece of Heath test gear at a local swap last weekend, and
>really
>got to feeling bad after taking a look at the innards of this item. It's
>an IG-63
>"Color Bar and Dot Generator", presumably made for alignment of color
>TV's. It's
>a tube type instrument.

> but it seems a shame it never really got used for the
>purpose it was intended to fulfill. Sorry for the space, I just had to
>ramble on about this!

John,

Saw this at Springfield last weekend.  I assume that's where you picked it up.
I already had one as well as an earlier larger Heath color bar generator.
Have not cut into them as they both work.  But if I needed a part or knobs
to repair another Heath piece, such as a 2 meter "lunch box" or HF signal
generator, I wouldn't hesitate as these are not that rare and are usually
priced right. Not many hobbyists need the function provided.  I'll keep one
just because it goes nice with my good working Heath 20 inch table model
color TV (tube type).  Someday that Heath TV will have some collector
value.  Until recently, you could barely give these away.  The Heath manual
for the accessory remote control alone is as large as the manual for the
color bar generator!

I picked up a McMurdo Silver signal tracer complete with eye-tube at
Springfield for $2.  Needs some cosmetic improvement but it is much rarer
than the Heath stuff and will be restored.  Right now it's sitting next to
a McMurdo Silver resistor/cap checker/bridge of the same style and vintage.
I am repairing/ restoring both pieces because they offer functionality I
can still use in the shop.

73 de Rich KB8TAD

BA Pix
http://ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu/~post/PIX/BA.html