HW-9 ... sell or keep ?

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Thu Oct 23 12:30:05 EDT 1997

Hello:

Just testing the water...

I had an HW-9 promised to a friend for the last couple years, in
exchange for a custom software design barter we never completed. He
wants to give it back because he never delivered his side of the deal,
so I am debating selling it because I don't have time to spend on QRP
right now.

It was Heath factory serviced while I worked there, and I installed a
few of the simpler KH6 guy's modifications from QEX magazine, like the
vfo filter rework to reduce 'birdies' (it does make a big improvment...I

thought the radio was dead at first...I think the simple diplexer, PA
stage bypassing, PA heatsinks, little odds & ends that did not require
any significant rework, and put a new Jackson drive in it due to the
notorious finickiness of the drive with respect to capacitor alignment.
I sent it to RTO Electronics also (another old ex-Heath coworker) for
his attmpt at improving the vfo mechanics. His mod involves removal of
part of the vfo shield, which I am a little apprehensive about, but it's

supposed to alleviate the Jackson drive binding problem. (If you could
fit an HW-101 size Jackson drive on the front panel, it would solve
everything!).

I also have the factory "Blue Book" service manual, the 'normal manual'
and the HFT-9 tuner to go with it. No power supply, but I can throw in
an industrial 723-based regulated supply (1.7 A) if you're willing to
add some bypass caps.

I don't know what to ask for it, and don't want to fall into any kind of

'auction' behavior, but I basically would be either holding onto it for
'someday', or selling it because I need the money for another
hare-brained project.

Murray

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov