Heath Mods in QST

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Oct 30 12:31:34 EST 1997

OK, fellow Heath users--here's the first installment of Heath
modification articles that are in the INCOMPLETE collection of QSTs at
my QTH.  There are many more such articles in QSTs I don't have, or
don't have the indexes for, as well as many in past issues of CQ, and
doubtless 73 as well, but I don't have them.

If you are a serious Heath user or collector, you really need to spring
for the 8 bucks or so for the book by Chuck Penson (W7ZZE), "Heathkit, a
Guide to the Amateur Radio Products," published by Electric Radio Press,
Durango, CO.  I think it's available from Electric Radio Magazine, 14643
County Road G, Cortez, CO  81301.

I have no pecuniary interest in Check's book, but his listing of mod
articles, incidental info, product reviews, etc., which are only a part
of his book, go back to the 50s and are gleaned from both QST and CQ.
It's a large book, especially for the low price, done on high quality
paper, and includes excellent photos of all the Heath ham gear, dates
made, description of what each piece does, original price, weight, size,
how rare it is, etc.

It also has a short history of the company, a section on buying and
selling Heath equipment, a master index of all the ham gear by model
number, another index by type--even a time-line section showing when
everything was made in relation to everything else.  Very thorough, a
masterpiece of research, and beautifully done.

FYI:  Chuck advised me recently by e-mail that after he has completed
his move to the southwestern desert, he is considering doing another
book on the Heath test equipment and maybe the other stuff, too.  This
would be great!

OK--with the caveats in place, on to my modest list of mod articles from
QST.  Thisis Part 1.  I will post a few each day until finished, in
order to reduce the load on the server.

                      HEATH MODS FROM QST-PART ONE
                         Compiled by K4KGW

DX-60B Transmitter.
1.  DX-60 Switch Replacement, Sep 87, p. 43
2.  DX-60 Switch Update, Sep 88, 48

DX-100 Transmitter
1.  Heath DX-100 Keying, Aug 77, 49
2.  "Feedback" on DX-100 Keying, Sep 77, 51

HA-201 VHF Amplifier
1.  HA-201 COR, Jul 78, 32
2.  "Feedbacl" on HA-201 COR, Nov 78, 32

HA-201A 2-Meter Amplifier
   Higher Power from the Heath 201A 2-Meter Amplifier, Jul 82, 37

HD-10 Keyer
1.  HD-10 Speaker Change, Mar 72, 52
2.  HD-10 Keyer Modification, Feb 74, 41
3.  HD-10Positive KeyLine, Jul 78, 34
4.  HD-10 Squeeze Paddle, Aug 78, 31

HD-1250 Dip Meter
1,  HD-1250 Carrying Case, Oct 78, 37
2.  Heath HD-1250 Dip Meter, Improving Response, May 79, 48

HD-1410 Keyer
1.  Ideas for theHD-1410 and other Keyers, Nov 79, 57
2.  External Paddles for the Heath HD-1410 Keyer, Oct 80, 25
3.  Solid State Rigs and the Heath HD-1410 Keyer, Apr 83, 38

HG-10 VFO
    HG-10 VFO Output, Jul 76, 42

HM-102 2-KW Wattmeter
1.  Heath HM-102, Added Switch, Feb 77, 43
2.  Heath HM-102, Extra Meters, May 78, 38

HM-2140 Dual HF Wattmeter (2-KW)
    Feb 80, 40

That's 10 items...I'll send 10 more tomorrow, so stay tuned!

73, Keith

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH