Value? of Heath auto ant tuner?

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Sep 2 08:07:28 EDT 1997

Dave Edwards wrote:

> I have a Heath SA2500 and manual that was built by Heathkit. I will
> use it someday when I re-arrange my shack (its big)
> Does any one else use this tuner? I have never heard of another ham
> using one, and don't know what they sell for. Does anyone have any
> insight to this item?
> Thanks in advance....Dave

> Dave Edwards  WB2TBB

         I have an SA-2500 which is in use as my main tuner and it is a bit
slow on the autotune function, compared with today's autotunes, but it
is a fine tuner nevertheless and will handle the legal limit.  I bought
it together with an entire SB-104A line of gear from an estate, so can't
say how much of the total price was for the SA-2500.  Based on its
original price of over $600.00, and what I have seen one or two
advertised for in recent months, I'd guess it's worth about $300.00 or
so.  Not many were sold, probably because they were a bit pricey for the
era in which they were offered, so there probably aren't many out there.

I notice that a lot of people post queries about the value of various
items.  There is a publication (as far as I know, the only one), that
would be a valuable part of everyone's library in this respect:

     Ham Price Guide
     By Eugene Rippen
     Sound Values
     P>O> Box 9
     Auburn, CA  95604

I don't recall what I paid for it, but it wasn't expensive.

This publication gives info on an amazing variety of gear of many eras
and manufacturers, as well as known condition and selling prices, etc.
of this gear over several recent years.  Very useful.

Keith, K4KGW