Posts and the Amateurs Code

k3ft@erols.com k3ft at EROLS.COM
Tue Sep 23 12:26:19 EDT 1997

I apologize in advance to the list manager and to the vast majority of
the list subscribers, but I hate to see flames and irritations break out
on a fine list and a great group. I am not trying to start a discussion
thread on the issue. Just point out something that others have pointed
out to me. This has nothing to do with Heath or its' gear, but rather on
the topic of posts. A recent post about a question on CTCSS (107.2 Hz)
lead to a few additional comments. Apparently someone took exception to
someone posting a 'non-Heath' question on  the Heath info server. As to
the appropriatness I won't comment, that's for the list manager to do.

What I want to do is ask you all to stop a minute before you 'flame' or
respond negatively. THINK!... remember the Amateurs Code (for most of us
are licensed Amateurs!) Amongst other things, it states that "The
Amateur is Friendly.. Helpful..." (See the ARRL handbook if you need a
refresher on the Code.) As a long-time licensed Amateur (since 1968)
I've owned much equipment, some Heath (proudly!) as well as others. Many
times I, as a grizzled 'O.F' (you figure out the iniitals HI!) have
asked seemingly 'ignorant and unlearned questions from one so long
licensed'. They were due to lack of knowledge on my part OR the fact
that I was new to a particular facet and needed assistance. I have
received 'flames' and barbs BUT, more often than not, I have had kind
thoughtful answers from both OT's and newbies alike which helped me
understand and learn.

The result?? I went away informed and better equipped to enjoy my hobby.
I also carried the inclination to want to help someone else out rather
than the feeling of bitterness at being 'flamed' by someone who deemed
themselves more righteous than I.

Ray posted his question cuz he didn't know where to go and thought he'd
find it here. I'd do the same thing since I've received nothing but
absolute 'welcomes' from the gang when I posted a question about the
HM102/2102/VHF transverters. I got answers, but they were in the
category of "here's the info I have" "you weren't exactly correct, those
devices were known as xxx and yyy". All ended with a 73 and (in one
case) and '88' which makes us guys egos' feel good!

anyway.. soapbox mode off. Just remember, you and I are ALL newbies at
something and we all make mistakes.

73

Chuck k3ft

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov