SS-9000 Help

Daniel Ruth heathkit at JUNO.COM
Tue Sep 23 23:08:06 EDT 1997

OK . . . don't know how much assistance I'll be able to get from the list
on this one, but there are a few of you out there, so here goes.

Problem #1
Finally got the rig on Friday and I am realizing now that the frequencies
that I am setting when the unit is powered up are NOT retained when I
power down and back up again.  It's supposed to remember everything I set
up and it's NOT!!

Page 17 of the Circuit Description manual discusses the rig's ability to
retain this stuff, but it's not clear enough for me to understand what I
should do to troubleshoot the problem.  For those of you with the manual,
the very last paragraph on page 17 (where it talks about checking for the
presence of the ACE IC) applies to me.  I get the code IC3 on the display
momentarily when I power up!  I'm not sure though if this has anything to
do with the inability to save my "data".  Yes, I HAVE checked the
batteries and although they weren't the freshest, they far exceed the
minimum voltage necessary to retain the data on power down.  (I replaced
them with fresh one anyhow and the problem continues).

Problem #2
The SS-9000 won't trip the SB-200, no matter which jack on the 9000 I
plug it into: the ALC (and adjust the ALC adjustment) or if I plug it
into the EXT RELAY jack!  (Of course, all other connections dealing with
the antenna are correct).  I know there are mods out there for the SB-200
to enable it to work w/solid state rigs; I wonder if that's the problem?
Though it was implied to me that it SHOULD work using the EXT RELAY jack.
BTW, the SB-200 worked fine w/my SB-102.

Item #3
I also need a knob for this thing. Other than the main tuning know, are
other knobs are the same size.

This list has done wonderful things for other people; I'll keep my
fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Danny  W3ZF  heathkit at juno.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov