WTB: EUW-15 Universal Power Supply manual/copy

Richard Post post at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Tue Sep 30 10:39:54 EDT 1997

>Heath-ites:
>
>The EUW-15 Universal Power Supply is a "Heath Built" unit with no meters.
>It has two octal sockets and binding posts on the front, and uses a single
>6L6GC as pass regulator.
>
>Need manual or copy.  Will send costs, or copy a manual I have.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Keep em Glowing!
>Roy, K1LKY since 1959

Roy,

I also have one of these but no manual.

Have a one-page ad from the Heath Scientific Instrumentation Catalog.

Quoted specs are 200 to 350 volts regulated up to 100 mils continuous. Also
100 to 500 volts unregulated in 5 steps (uses five 1500 ohm 10 watt
resistors as voltage divider)
B+ ripple: Less than 10 millivolts ripple, jitter, and noise.
These specifications are for the EUW-15 when it is wired for voltage
doubler operation.
6.3 volts AC at 3 amps.

Functions as a Full-wave, Half-wave, Bridge, or Voltage Doubler power supply
Solderless spring-clip jumpers permit wiring options.

Block level diagrams in the Heath EUW-15 manual and in the text
"Electronics for Scientists" clarify schematic hook-ups for the various
power circuits.
Open layout of components plus schematic diagram screened on the bottom of
the chassis make circuit modifications convenient, help students visualize
the rrelationship between schematic, block portions of the circuitry, and
actual component layout.

Let me know if you want a photocopy of the page.

"Gotcha" on this one is the voltage doubler with electrolytics essentially
in series. Had one of the caps get warm when I brought it up on the variac
the first time.  The warm cap was the better of the two, surprise!  With no
resistors to balance the leakage current as the caps were forming, you can
guess what happened.  I brought the caps up independently and the supply is
fine. Did not damage the cap.  Control circuit is similar but not as nice
as Heath's PS-4 / IP-17 which have a negative supply allowing the variable
voltage to go to zero.

73, Rich

BA Pix
http://ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu/~post/PIX/BA.html