Matching Reciever

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Fri Apr 17 07:47:04 EDT 1998

On 4/16/98 10:18 PM, GeiselD at GeiselD at aol.com wrote:

>The HR-10 is neither one of the  better or one of the worst receivers Heath
>built.  I like the fact that it uses conventional metal chassis construction
>with no PC boards. It only has one selectivity setting obtained from a
>pair of
>crystals in a simple IF filter.  The mechanical and thermal oscillator
>stabilty on the lower bands is good on mine. However the oscillator needs
>some
>additional voltage regulation, which I will add in an non-obtrusive manner
>with some sort of under chassis add on. Otherwise, it makes a  nice little
>receiver for the lower bands and should be quite adequate for some 10 meter
>boatanchor type AM phone with the DX-60. 73 Darwin K5DOA

The November 1972 issue of "73" magazine has an article on some useful
modifications for the HR-10(B). Included were the addition of a voltage
regulator tube for improved oscillator stability, a silicon diode voltage
rectifier and solid-state diode detection and AGC.

I built one of the last HR-10Bs in March of 1975. I made the "73"
modifications and they greatly improved the performance of the HR-10
especially the AGC. These modifications do require punching a hole in the
chassis for the regulator tube.

Performance of the HR-10B isn't bad on all bands but 10m. Mine was pretty
much deaf as a stone on that band. Of course, the sunspot low at the time
didn't help.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov